Ramya Sunder RamanProfessor
- 2021 onwards: Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, IISER Bhopal, INDIA
- 2014 - 2021: Associate Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, IISER Bhopal, INDIA
- 2009 - 2014: Assistant Professor, Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences, IISER Bhopal, INDIA
- 2008 - 2009: Post-doctoral Fellow, Physical Research Laboratory, Ahmedabad
- 2007: Post-doctoral Fellow, Center for Air Resources Engineering and Science, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA
- Doctor of Philosophy, Ph.D. (Chemical Engineering), 2007, Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA Dissertation Advisor: Prof. Philip K Hopke
- Master of Science, MS (Chemical Engineering), 2005,Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA Thesis Advisor: Prof. Philip K Hopke
- Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical), 2002, R V College of Engineering, Bangalore.(Affiliated to Visvesvaraya Technological University)
- Reviewer for Atmospheric Environment, Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, Science of the Total Environment, Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry, Chemosphere, Climate Dynamics, AAQR, HERA
- Expert member/Chair – staff selection committees and graduate student selection committees including the prestigious Govt. of India PMRF (Prime Ministers Research Fellowship), ICMR National Institute of Research on Environmental Health, IISER Bhopal and others. Member, CSIR NET-JRF examination committee on three occasions.
Institute Level – IISER Bhopal
- Head, Centre for Science and Society (CS2) (2021 onwards)
- Coordinator/Dean-in-charge, Academic Affairs (2013-2015)
- Coordinator, Center for Research on Environment and Sustainable Technologies (2014 onwards)
- Institute Coordinator, MHRD external peer review committee (2017)
- Convener, National Advisory Committee Engineering Sciences (2014)
- Convener, National Advisory Committee Humanities and Social Sciences (2013)
- Warden, Girls’ hostel (2010-2011)
- Member, Academic Senate (2009 onwards)
- Head, Department of EES (2014-2019)
- Member, DPGC (2019 onwards)
- Member, DFAC (2019 onwards)
- Instrument in-charge EDXRF (2018 onwards)
- Head (Additional Charge), Engineering Sciences (2015-2016)
- Coordinator/Head-in-charge EES (2010-2013)
- Faculty Advisor, SAC (2021)
- Faculty Advisor, Science Council (2020)
- Faculty Advisor, SAC (2019)
Contributions to National and International Research Initiatives
- Contributing author “Science Plan” for the National Carbonaceous Aerosol Programme (NCAP) released by the Government of India, 2011
- Member, Organizing Committee for the formation of the India Working Group of the International Global Atmospheric Chemistry (IGAC) programme, 2013
- COALESCE technical workshop 2018 – Field sampling and operation of SASS
- COALESCE PMF workshop 2019 – IIT Bombay
- India representative, International Global Atmospheric Chemistry (IGAC) Asia Workshop 2015 - Thailand
- First Climate Science-Policy Workshop 2014 – IIT Bombay
- Max Planck/IIT Madras Workshop on Climate and Health Effects of Tropical Aerosols 2013 – IIT Madras
- Demonstration of good practices in mitigating cook stove and agricultural residue burning emissions during surveys for inventory building (COALESCE project) to residents in 4 districts of MP, including regions dominated by tribal population.
- Sharing Life-Cycle Analysis results for landfill site remediation of the Bhanpur dumpsite with Bhopal Municipal Corporation.
- Enhancing awareness in rural women on lung function and other health hazards cook-stove emissions in rural households of Sehore District as part of a MS thesis. Management strategies education encouraged better choices of cook-stoves, fuel types and ventilation conditions in some of the household.
- “Tiny Particles and their Influence on the Huge Earth System” - World Environment Day Celebration at ICMR-National Institute for Research on Environmental Health Bhopal, June 2017.
- “Ozone depletion and Climate Change” – Popular Science Talk delivered at the Regional Science Center, Bhopal on World Ozone Day – September 2011.
- “A hole in the sky – Ozone Hole” – Popular Science Talk delivered at the Regional Science Center, Bhopal on World Ozone Day – September 2010.
All of the above outreach/research efforts threw light on the need to incorporate elements of assessing environmental justice, specifically with reference to access to clean air and water for the marginalized and economically weak sections of the society.